The RIBA publish a useful guide on ‘Working with an Architect for your Home’.
Each service required for your project is addressed within the stages of the RIBA Plan of Work 2013, which consist of the following:
RIBA Plan of Work 2013: Project stages & services
0. Strategic Definition & 1. Preparation & Brief:
• Visit the property and carry out an initial appraisal.
• Identify client’s requirements.
• Discuss the project objectives and develop initial project brief.
• Undertake feasibility studies where required.
• Carry out survey of site and/or existing buildings.
2. Concept Design:
• Prepare initial outline proposals and discuss with the Client.
• Identify and agree any alterations to the project brief.
• Carry out preliminary enquiries with planning authority if thought beneficial.
3. Developed Design
• Develop the final design.
• Provide information for an approximate estimate of cost.
• Provide the final design proposals for approval.
• Prepare and submit a detailed planning application.
4a. Technical Design:
• Prepare drawings and supporting information in sufficient detail to enable tenders to be achieved.
• Prepare and submit a Building Regulations application for approval.
4b. Technical Design:
• Advise on an appropriate form of building contract, its conditions and the responsibilities of the Client, the consultants and the builder.
• Prepare appropriate documents required for tendering.
• Advise on potential builders to be invited to tender for the work.
• Invite, appraise and report on tenders as appropriate.
• Advise on the appointment of a builder.
• Prepare the building contract and arrange a pre-contract meeting to include contract signing.
• Provide the builder with information required for construction.
• Site visits to ensure that the work is proceeding generally in accordance with contract.
• Certify payments for work carried out or completed.
• Provide general advice on maintenance.
• Carry out final inspections and addressing resolution of any defects.
• Agree final account and issue a final certificate.